Reasons to be Disqualified
1. Delaying the start.
2. Start before the starting signal (Including moving whilst under the starter’s orders).
1. Did not touch the wall at the turn or finish.
2. Totally submerged (except for the first 15m at the start & after the turn).
3. Head did not break the surface at or before 15m mark following the start or turn.
1. Left position on the back (other than to initiate a turn).
2. Totally submerged (except for the first 15m at the start, after the turn or at the finish).
3. Not on the back when leaving the wall.
4. Did not touch the wall during the turn.
5. Not on the back at the finish.
1. Body not on the breast.
2. Stroke cycle not one arm stroke to one leg stroke.
3. Arm movements not simultaneous.
4. Arm movements not in the same horizontal plane.
5. Hands not pushed forward together from the breast.
6. Elbows over the water except for the last stroke before the turn, during the turn or the final stroke at the finish.
7. Hands brought back beyond the hip line (except after the 1st stroke following the start or turn).
8. Head not breaking the surface during the stroke cycle (except after the start & turn).
9. Head did not break the surface before the hands turn inwards at the widest point in the 2nd stroke after the start or turn.
10. Downward dolphin kick not followed by a breaststroke kick.
11. Leg movements not simultaneous (alternating leg movement).
12. Leg movements not on the same plane.
13. Feet not turned out during the propulsive part of the kick.
14. Executed a downward dolphin kick (except after the start or after the turn as in rule 10).
15. Did not touch at the turn or finish with both hands, or touch not simultaneous.
1. Body not on the breast (except when executing a turn).
2. Arms not brought forward together.
3. Arms not brought forward over the water.
4. Arms not brought backwards simultaneously.
5. Movements of the legs not simultaneous.
6. Alternating movement of the legs or feet.
7. Breaststroke kick used (except in Masters Competition).
8. Did not touch at the turn or finish with both hands, or touch not simultaneous.
9. More than one arm pull under water (following start or turn).
10. Head did not break the surface at or before 15m mark following the start or turn.
11. Not on the surface during the stroke (except for the first 15m at the start & after the turn).
1. Incorrect individual stroke order (Fly, Back, Breast, Free)
2. Incorrect medley relay order (Back, Breast, Fly, Free)
3. Finish of each stroke not in accordance with the rules for the particular stroke.
1. A swimmer did not cover the whole distance – DNF.
2. Turn not made from the wall or took a stride or step from the bottom of the pool.
3. Walks during freestyle events or during the freestyle portion of the medley.
4. Pulled on the lane ropes.
5. Obstructing or interfering with another swimmer – foul.
6. Device aiding speed or buoyancy or endurance used.
7. Fewer than 4 swimmers in a team.
8. Feet (or Hand(s) if swimmer starting in the water) lost touch with the starting place before preceding team-mate touches.
9. Team member enters water during race not to swim their length.
10. Team swum in incorrect order
11. Pacemaking plan or device or instruction given.